Dear Robin Williams

Dear Robin Williams,

First and foremost, you were, without a doubt, my favorite actor growing up. You were my favorite comedian. Quite frankly, you were one of my favorite human beings up until the time of your death. I miss you, as does most of the free world.

I recently started writing again. Subsequently, I started befriending a few authors on social media. I'm extremely happy with the quality of my second book so far. These days, I don't think too highly of my first book. I was a first-time author. It was inconsistent at best. One of my new writer friends suggested that I get my name back out there by embracing my first book and giving away a copy.

I'm sure you're asking 'What does this have to do with me?" Well, I have a hard time re- reading my first book. I've skimmed bits and pieces here and there. Some of it is well written. A lot of it is cringe worthy. 

There is a passage near the end of the book that uses your unfortunate death as a means to an end. I don't remember the exact words I used because I can't bring myself to read it back. Maybe I'll do it again soon. I just remember that what my main female character said was wrong. Through their clouded eyes, it used your untimely death as an example of what not to do.

I've recently learned that I have to stop apologizing for things that I need not apologize for. This is not one of those times. Mr. Williams, I sincerely apologize. Perhaps I, myself, was clouded by grief or anger. I wrote the passage not long after you departed. You left us not due to weakness, but due to illness. My character believed the opposite. It was wrong and I feel guilty for allowing my character to express herself in that manner. If I could take it back, I would absolutely re-write that part. 

Again, I'm sorry. I loved literally everything you did on movies, television and standup. You will always be one of my favorite humans. You are loved and missed, especially by yours truly. I will do better the second time around. 

Your friend,

Brian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 350

What I Choose To Become

Waiting For That First Check