What, Walt Disney World Isn't A Big Enough Selling Point?

I’m requesting feedback from any and all Disneyphiles because I'm torn on something. Today is the Official Grand Opening of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, which happens to coincide with the 24-Hour “Rock Your Disney Side” Event (aka #Disney24) It seems like in today’s Walt Disney World, there’s always some kind of themed event taking place. From Disney24 to Star Wars Weekend to Dapper Day, from Flower and Garden to Food and Wine, there’s always some kind of special promotion.
 
My question to you – Is this really necessary? I mean, we’re not talking about a struggling baseball team that needs to fill the park by giving away bobbleheads. (*cough*METS*cough*) This is WALT DISNEY WORLD!!! They make money hand over fist without all those bells and whistles. When I was a kid, the only excuse I needed to go to the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT Center (Epcot) was ‘Because it’s the Magic Kingdom and/or EPCOT Center.’
 
For me, the special event was the actual venue itself, with all the built-in rides and attractions. That was enough for me, and it still is. Since when are Mickey Mouse, Space Mountain and the Disney Princesses not enough to push people through the turnstiles? People don’t exactly go to Six Flags Great Adventure to see the free concerts, and they don’t dress up like they’re going to Comic-Con either. They go for the rides.
 
There's a part of me that says 'Well, this enhances the experience and it's a great, big party.' What exactly do we need to enhance though? It's already the happiest place on earth. If Walt Disney World can’t bring people in simply because it’s Walt Disney World, something is wrong. Personally, I think enhancing the Disney experience in this manner is like giving Kate Upton a boob job.
 
What do you think? Is WDW better off with all of these special promotions, or should they shift their efforts to promote the park itself? Or, am I missing the point entirely?
 
(p.s. – If you do need to plan a Disney vacation, click here to get started.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Choose To Become

Day 350

Waiting For That First Check